Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Four Seasons in One Day



Autumn has come early this year. Growth and maintenance have given way to trees shedding their leaves, people preparing to reap what they have sown.

There is a sad beauty in the death of so many things. Everywhere I look I see piles of red and gold gathered around the bases of people I love. It's cyclical and necessary and sometimes barely endurable.

I hate winter, the cold and dark have never been good for me. Every year it seems to last a bit longer. I think about moving to a more temperate climate someday, but I know I won't. I need the bitter chill to remind me to appreciate the sun on my face and the lush growth that follows.

I'm choosing to be uncomfortable for a while in order to live without becoming numb to everything around me. I am Afraid most of the time because I want to avoid pain, but that is only human.

Heavy coats and gloves will be out soon, insulation against the freezing Midwestern climate.

1 comment:

Shrinking Gail said...

I want a new blog.








Now, thank you! :o)