Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I spend entirely too much time thinking about food. My thoughts are currently trained on:

  • The chicken breast salad I am eating for lunch
  • What I'm going to buy at the grocery store in a bit
  • The meal I will be enjoying later this evening

I talk about food so damn much that people think there is something wrong with me. When I have a craving, its almost never something simple like a cheeseburger (though I do get burger cravings quite often these days...)

I have these elaborate fantasies that span multiple courses. Inside my world, a craving begins with a specific drink and ends with another. I spend too much time thinking about beverages as well, but that's an entirely different topic that I'm not quite ready to tackle.

An Example

  • Pouilly-Fuissé
  • Bread & olive oil
  • Wild mushroom bisque
  • Pinot Noir
  • Fennel & dijon mustard pork tenderloin
  • Risotto with pomegranate seeds
  • Espresso
  • Tiramisu
  • Drambui

I am well aware that my petite bourgeoisie daydreams about something as simple as nourishment are obnoxious but I can't help it. This is how I operate.

I am looking forward to going out to dinner tonight with a group of friends, some of whom I hardly see anymore. I am very fortunate to have several good, and few truly wonderful people in my life. I hope that those people know how much they mean to me. Life has been surprisingly kind to me and the randomness with which things happen gives me cause to believe that some things are not coincidental.

4 comments:

Shrinking Gail said...

I hope I'm still included in that group of people even though I've been shitty lately b/c you are certinly in mine.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

how funny!! i think the same way!! about food all the time, elaborate creations like you speak of, etc.

i'm wondering if you're a fast oxidizer like me. not to mention, you have to do the grocery shopping, meal planning and feed more than just yourself so it makes perfect sense. *grin*

Anonymous said...

i forgot to tell you how i made yeast bread from scratch yesterday. yummy!! i made it into bread bowls for vege beef stew that matt and i made. they were wonderful!!

Jen said...

Gail: Yes and I love you too.

Nat: Where is my bread? Did I mention I like toast...