Tuesday, October 11, 2005

adoro caballos


(Lascaux cave drawing of Chinese horse)

A few nights ago while i was up feeding my daughter i saw a program on the National Geographic Channel about horses, more specifically, wild horses, zebras & burros. I was completely fascinated. I did not know how complex of a social structure these magnificent animals have.

The closest i have ever come to riding a horse was sitting on some poor pony as it was lead around a circle. I loved riding ponies at Blackberry Farm as a child. I had a favorite named "Sox". She was black with white markings on her legs. I wonder whatever happened to "Sox". I should ask my friend Katie if she knows, as she spent a summer when she was an adolescent shoveling horse dung at the park. I always felt a bit sorry for those animals as they plodded monotonously around a ring with fat, abusive children on their backs, but now i feel even worse after watching the documentary.

Last year i went to the county fair and looked at the horses that the 4-H kids were exhibiting. I was amazed at their sheer size and visible strength. They were absolutely beautiful and the only redeeming quality of the whole event (making fun of inbred carnies aside). Looking into their eyes I detected curiosity and intelligence. They would peer at me through their long lashes and I was captivated.

That summer i also worked for the Kane County Farm Bureau for a couple of months and i worked at the "Farm Zoo" that the Bureau sponsored. There was a miniature horse (not a pony) among the displayed animals. I fell in love with her. I wanted to rescue her from the ignorant farmer's kids who owned her. One day they never showed up to feed and water her. And when they were there they didn't pay her much mind. She was such a sweetheart. I shared my granola bar with her & gave her kisses. I miss that little horse.

The other day there was a fire around here and almost 40 horses perished in the blaze. They suspect arson. People that are cruel to animals are at the very top of my list of People I Want to Disembowel.

It is a dream of mine to someday live somewhere that i can keep a couple of goats, maybe some Narragansett turkeys and perhaps an equestrian friend.

So I have horses on the brain right now. I want to learn more about them. Horses rock.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

'Friend Katie' does not know what happened to Sox and if I did, I doubt you would want the gruesome details. :(

Kevin said...

I have some books about, and more to the point, some friends with horses. It's been to long for me and I need to go ride or ast the very least shovel a barn and try not to get stepped on.