Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I have a problem with organized religion. I quit attending church when i was 15 because i couldn't buy what they were selling.

After having my daughter i decided i wanted her to go to church. St. Mark's Lutheran is an Evangelical Lutheran church and as such they are fairly liberal:

The 1991 Churchwide Assembly (CWA) – the highest legislative body of the ELCA – affirmed "... that gay and lesbian people, as individuals created by God, are welcome to participate fully in the life of the congregations of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America."

Also, they don't interpret the Bible literally, which i think is a hallmark of intelligence.

On Easter Sunday I went to church with my husband & daughter. And while i find church relaxing & oddly comforting i couldn't help feeling sort of bad because i realized that i don't believe that Jesus is any more God than Buddha or Mother Teresa.

I am conflicted because i feel like i should take my daughter to church even though i don't believe it. I want her to have an understanding of religions so that she can comprehend why people do shitty things in the name of God.





No comments: