Wednesday, April 11, 2007

"End of the Trail"

(MJ Meketi; lithograph ~ 1970)
While my Grandfather's style of painting or subject matter is not my favorite, i am very proud of his work & wanted to share one of his most well-known pieces. The quality of the lithograph i own is terrible. The original oil on canvas painting has much better color & detail.
My grandparents were not very business savvy & they sold the rights to this print in the mid-1970s and were taken advantage of. My mother tried unsuccessfully to buy back the rights in the 90s.
When i was twelve i went to eastern Tennessee for the first time. I was in an art gallery thumbing through a box of prints when i came across my grandfather's "End of the Trail". I noticed that the name signed in the lower right-hand corner was not his. I immediately showed my mother and she confronted the shop-keep as to whose signature was on the painting. The man proclaimed it was his and when my mother and i challenged him, he became red-faced and hostile. He all but threw us out of his store. After we left my mother was pissed off and teary-eyed. I wanted to beat the man senseless with my pink fluorescent fanny pack.
During that vacation i saw plates, clocks, belt buckles, coffee cups with this print on it - and no name. That was the hardest part - knowing it was my grandfather's work and was not getting credit. Not to mention the profits we were losing out on because we did not own the image rights.
I purchased my lithograph off of EBay a few years ago. The online merchants nowadays almost always credit my grandfather for the image and his name is back on the prints. One time i found a girl selling homemade charm bracelet pieces with the image shrunken to less than a half inch. I emailed her & gave her his name and she then sent me a charm. I thought that was pretty darn cool.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi jen I have a Michael J. Meketi art print of Emmet Kelly are you intrested in it. please email me at loudest1@verizon.net

Anonymous said...

hi - I want you to know that I inherited a copy of this print from my father, and I totally love it - it makes me feel so sad and at the same time so strong - please email me at mysticmemories@mchsi.com - my dad also got run over by not knowing how to register his inventions in his own name so I know how you feel.

Even though I don't want to give this piece up, I would be happy to send you a pewter necklace or something - I like this image so much I got some of those charms too...

joined this blog site just to send you this note...

Ronda

Anonymous said...

I have a statue of this painting. Do you know when he painted the original and where it is? Thanks, Kathy

Jen said...

Apparently I don't get email notifications on this blog anymore. I just happened to be looking through the archives and found your comments.

Ronda, I will send you an email.

Kathy, this was painted in 1970 and last I knew, the painting still belonged to the original owner, as I ran into in a bar five or six years ago & asked if he still had it. I offered to buy it from him & gave him my number in case he wanted to sell it. Of course, I never heard anything.

Anonymous said...

This may be a long shot... but I have seen a very very very old framed painting of this picture that may very well be the original. We have a picture of it. If you are interested in knowing more information please email Jeff at jjd70@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Look it up End of the trail.
It was a sculpture first, not made my your dad.

Jenny T said...

At Anon - Yes, I am well aware that End of the Trail was originally a sculpture that has been painted many, many times by different artists, one of which was my Grandfather.

Unknown said...

Hello! Just want to let you know that your grandfather came into a restaurant (Silver Moon Café in Santa Rosa, NM) about 20 years ago. My folks bought a couple of prints from him; End of the Trail, as well as another.

We cherish them not only because they are beautiful, but because they were purchased directly from your grandfather.

Keith Ross

Unknown said...

I have a framed print copy (I think is a print) of your grandpa paint. Its framed in wood covered with a thick glaze/resin. Its signed meketi. Would you like to see and tell me if that was his signature? Thanks. My email is mercedesserrano810@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I think is called "decoupage". Popular in the 70's

Unknown said...

I bought a print of this exact image from a school book fair in my school library back in the 70's. Love this so much always since I was a child.

Anonymous said...

I have one as well…signed meketi in bottom right corner! Framed in old wood